Sunday, February 23, 2014

Micosoft Surface Pro Review

I had a 2011 iMac that we didn't use. It was large, immobile and didn't fit what I needed in a computer. Though fast -- and let's face it, it's hard to beat a Mac when it comes to hardware -- it just didn't fit my ever-increasing mobile life. My main laptop was a CR-48 Google prototype Chromebook that I flashed to run Ubuntu 12.04.

So, I got rid of the iMac and bought a Microsoft Surface Pro. After 5 days of use, this is my review.


I hated Windows 8. It made no sense to me. The whole Metro start screen, the bipolar desktop thing, the side-menus. All of it was the most extreme example of compromise I've ever seen in OS form. But that was only using it on a desktop/laptop interface without a touchscreen. Then I got it with the Surface. Microsoft did a horrible job at marketing Windows 8, and they did an even worse job of making it make sense on non-touch devices. However, on the touch interface, you realize it makes perfect sense. A desktop or non-touch laptop doesn't have a capacitive Windows home button on the hardware. I came to realize very quickly that the Surface was built for Windows 8 and Windows 8 was built for Surface.





Surface Pro is different than most tablets, though. With an i5 processor and its 4GB of RAM and giant 128GB SSD, its more ultrabook than tablet. It's also heavier than most tablets, at around two pounds with the Type Cover 2. So is it a laplet? A tabbook? An Ultratablet? I don't know. Perhaps it truly is in a category by itself. But make no mistake, it is in a class by its own and it's an elite class indeed.

For starters, the display is a full 1080p HD screen and (at least in my opinion) puts the Apple's Retina display to shame. Netflix, Kindle and even YouTube look amazing. The widescreen allows the biggest benefit of Windows 8 over the standard tablet interface -- multiple apps open at once. It's awesome to have Amazon open on one side, surfing through some cool products I'd like, and having Netflix open on the other half, running through episodes of LOST or something. Like right now. I'm typing this with Chrome opened up on the left-hand side of my screen, and watching Netflix on the other side.

And with this being the Pro version of the Surface tablet, and not the RT, this is full Windows 8. Want to run Quickbooks on this? You got it. Want Opera web browser? Check. Want to run Chrome in Windows 8 metro mode that opens a full screen Chrome OS-style window? Check again. Side benefit: apps that require a premium subscription for mobile access (such as Spotify) work just fine on here as a desktop app -- because that's exactly what it is.

The attachable keyboard cover leapfrogged the iPad and other tablets in productivity matters. To be able to sit down -- like right now! -- and bang out a blog post, or do some coding in Ruby. Out of personal experience, I have to recommend that you spend the extra $10 for the TypeCover over the TouchCover. Both are great, but nothing beats the physical keys of the TypeCover. Sure, it's a bit more bulky but worth it.

Despite these amazing benefits, it's not 100% perfect. The battery isn't great. I get about 4-5 hours on a single charge. It's not horrible, but don't expect the battery life you'd get on something with an ARM chip like an iPad or a Kindle Fire HDX. That's kind of the tradeoff you get with a full desktop-class OS and hardware here. And the app store is still a bit lethargic. No official Spotify app was glaring as well as no Amazon VOD or Cloud Player app (though, admittedly, you can download those desktop apps from the Amazon site).

All in all, I give the Surface Pro a B+. Battery life and app store still keep this from being perfect, but it's leaps and bounds better than any other tablet when it comes to "doing the most." I don't have to carry around a tablet and a laptop now. I've got both in one package, and it's quite fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment